Jan. 18, 2021, 1:31 a.m. EST

Carrefour, Couche-Tard end tie-up talks

new
Watchlist Relevance
LEARN MORE

Want to see how this story relates to your watchlist?

Just add items to create a watchlist now:

or Cancel Already have a watchlist? Log In

By Joshua Kirby

Carrefour SA and Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. have called off talks over a potential takeover, though will look into potential cooperation in some areas, the two companies have said.

Couche-Tard, a Canadian convenience-store operator, last week made a preliminary offer for the French grocer, valuing it at just over 16 billion euros ($19.33 billion). In a joint release Saturday, the two companies said that "in light of recent events, these [talks] are no longer continuing."

Following last week's news, the French government said it would block any takeover, pointing to Carrefour's employee base in France and its importance to food distribution in the country.

Carrefour and Couche-Tard added that they were extending discussions over operational partnerships in areas such as purchasing volumes, private labels and optimizing distribution where their networks overlap.

This Story has 0 Comments
Be the first to comment
More News In
Industries

Story Conversation

Commenting FAQs »

Partner Center

Link to MarketWatch's Slice.