By Mike Murphy
China’s ambassador to the U.S. said Tuesday that Beijing was still open to resuming trade negotiations, and blamed the U.S. for changing its mind too much.
In an interview with Fox News , Cui Tiankai said: “China remains ready to continue our talks with our American colleagues to reach a conclusion. Our door is still open.”
He blamed the breakdown in negotiations squarely on the U.S.
“If we review the process of trade talks between us over the last year or so, it is quite clear it is the U.S. side that, more than once, changed its mind overnight, and broke the tentative deal already reached,” Cui said. “We are still committed . . . it is the U.S. side who changed its mind so often.”
The Trump administration has said that it was China that reneged on commitments it had made that led to negotiations to stall.
Cui said China would welcome fresh talks, but is in “no rush.”
He also dismissed U.S. claims that Huawei Technologies’ telecom equipment poses a national security risk. “All these actions taken against Huawei are politically motivated,” Cui said.