What’s the biggest financial risk we face? Today, many folks would point to the possibility of a recession, a stock market plunge and perhaps both. Indeed, those are perennial perils—but perhaps they shouldn’t be our biggest worries. Looking to lose sleep? Here are 50 other dangers we face:
1. Really, really long-term care.
2. Your financial adviser turns out to be a crook .
3. Your spouse leaves.
4. Double-digit inflation.
5. Your new neighbor specializes in personal-injury lawsuits.
6. Your son just got his driver’s license.
7. Your fellow fund shareholders panic and sell en masse.
8. Your employer is the 2019 version of Enron.
9. Social Security benefits get slashed .
10. Your children are ages two, three and five—and your spouse dies.
11. Your financial accounts are hacked and emptied .
12. Your home’s foundation is sinking—fast.
13. It turns out he wasn’t the next Warren Buffett.
14. Your retired parents run out of money.
15. Your 42-year-old is still living in the basement.
16. Your job can be done cheaper and faster—by someone else.
17. You were about to put your home on the market, but piping plovers took up residence on your front lawn.
18. The 4% rule doesn’t work.
19. When you’re out of town, your high-schooler throws a wild, booze-fueled party—and somebody gets injured .
20. A disability prevents you from ever working again.
21. Congress decides to tax Roth accounts.
22. Your insurer jacks up premiums on your long-term-care insurance to an unaffordable level .