Lithia Motors Inc. /zigman2/quotes/202974783/composite LAD +0.35% said Tuesday that it has seen "notable improvements" across its business lines in recent weeks, after experiencing sales declines in March and April as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The automotive retailer said May same-store vehicle unit sales fell 7% from a year ago, with new vehicle unit sales decreasing 20% and used vehicle unit sales rising 8%. Total vehicle unit sales witnessed weekly sequential improvements in May as shelter-in-place policies eased. During the first week of May, same-store new vehicle unit sales decreased 28% and used vehicle unit sales fell 5%, but by the end of the last week of May, new vehicle unit sales improved to a 16% decrease and used vehicle unit sales swung to an increase of 22%. Same-store web traffic grew nearly 40% for the last week of May. Chief Executive Bryan DeBoer said Lithia was able to generate positive earnings and cash flow "during these unprecedented times," which will allow the company to accelerate its growth plans during the second half of the year. The stock, which was still inactive in premarket trading, has gained 2.0% over the past three months, while the S&P 500 /zigman2/quotes/210599714/realtime SPX +0.45% has slipped 1.1%.