By Nigam Arora
In the runup in marijuana stocks earlier this year, many less-informed investors aggressively bought marijuana stocks near their highs.
That was precisely the time when those who were following segmented money flows were selling into the strength. Those who bought near the highs are now sitting on large unrealized losses. From emails I get, many of those investors are bewildered. After all, marijuana has a bright long-term future. And they bought when everyone else was buying and technical analysis was giving buy signals.
When I wrote “How to potentially become a marijuana millionaire, albeit carefully,” a lot of money had been made in marijuana stocks by following segmented money flows. Segmented money flows are like X-rays.
The one “must-know” thing for investors who are serious about making money in marijuana is to learn the X-rays of marijuana stocks using money flows. Let’s examine the latest money flows in marijuana stocks.
Please click here for a chart showing segmented money flows in 17 popular marijuana stocks. Please note the following:
• Momo (momentum) crowd money flows are positive in Aurora Cannabis /zigman2/quotes/210559470/composite ACB +5.36% , Aphria /zigman2/quotes/207425803/composite APHA +6.69% and Canopy Growth /zigman2/quotes/200603886/composite CGC +4.49% . However, smart money flows are neutral in those stocks.
• In Cronos /zigman2/quotes/206842762/composite CRON +8.52% , smart money flows are mildly negative, but momo crowd money flows are positive. A short-squeeze potential in Cronos would be extremely positive. More on short squeezes later.
• Smart money flows in marijuana ETF /zigman2/quotes/204332491/composite MJ +2.64% is negative.
• Momo crowd money flows are negative in Acreage Holdings /zigman2/quotes/205165963/delayed ACRGF -1.39% , Liberty Health /zigman2/quotes/204270480/delayed LHSIF 0.00% and MedMen /zigman2/quotes/201940908/delayed MMNFF +2.78% .
• Momo crowd money flows are very positive in New Age Beverages /zigman2/quotes/200595917/composite NBEV +4.08% , but smart money flows are neutral.
• Corbus Pharmaceuticals /zigman2/quotes/201549545/composite CRBP -1.87% is a small biotech company, but it’s also grouped with marijuana stocks. Smart money flows are positive. This stock has come under a vicious short attack.
• In other marijuana-related stocks, smart money flows are negative in GW Pharmaceuticals /zigman2/quotes/209686240/composite GWPH -1.59% , KushCo Holdings /zigman2/quotes/209165034/delayed KSHB -0.70% , Scotts Miracle-Gro /zigman2/quotes/200553749/composite SMG +0.48% and Constellation Brands /zigman2/quotes/207737284/composite STZ +0.85% .
• Smart money flows are neutral in Craft Brew Alliance /zigman2/quotes/209915231/composite BREW +0.60% .