January 4, 2016
2016 predictions: The six tech trends that will rule
CES will dedicate record 200,000 square feet, equivalent of 3.5 football fields, just to cars
In July, Facebook Inc. Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg predicted that humans would one day be able to talk with their minds and get Internet access from orbital lasers beaming power down to Earth.
While we wouldn’t recommend holding your breath for those technologies just yet, 2016 will be filled with incremental tech developments that will serve as a foundation for a much smarter future.
Virtual reality, artificial intelligence and smart cars will move to the main stage in 2016 as hardware is commercialized and cloud technologies make way for multi-functional computing.
At CES, the world’s largest annual tech convention to be held in Las Vegas Jan 6-9, there will be more square-footage and vendors dedicated to cars, wearables, robots and drones than ever before — a whopping three-and-a-half football fields’ worth of space for smart-car technologies alone.
This will set the stage for a 2016 of technology companies expanding into new niche markets, such as healthcare and auto, as their software products and services become increasingly ubiquitous.
- ‘Unthinkable ... after Ethiopia’: Yemen faces globe’s worst famine in 100 years
- John McCain’s memorial service: notable attendees, speakers and moments
- You can retire pretty well in these 10 uncommonly charming towns
- Running scared this flu season? 7 things you shouldn’t touch — including soap
- How much to tip everyone for the holidays
- 5 blue-collar jobs that pay $100,000 a year
- The cheapest states to drive in
- 8 best American trips for solo travelers
- Top 10 most annoying people you may want to unfriend on Facebook
- 10 jobs robots already do better than you
- Tour this fantastic Mediterranean villa in the Flats of Beverly Hills
- Forget Paris, these are the European spots you should visit this summer
- Gawk at these photos of Palazzo di Amore, a one-of-a-kind estate high above Beverly Hills
- An Oscar-worthy Los Angeles home with classic celebrity ties
- 12 best American road trips