June 25, 2015
This is how much it actually costs to shop at Whole Foods
Whole Foods is often more expensive than other grocery stores...but not always
Will they call the new store “Half Foods”?
Whole Foods or Whole Paycheck?
Whole Foods Market Inc. is under scrutiny after a New York City investigation found that the upscale food market routinely overcharges customers. Whole Foods was recently fined $800,000 for similar practices in California.
Awhile back, the chain announced plans to start a sister chain of stores aimed at younger shoppers, as it seeks to ditch the “Whole Paycheck” sobriquet. Whole Foods co-founder John Mackey said the new chain will have lower prices, cost less to run and be “hip, cool, and tech-oriented.”
MarketWatch did its own sting operation to see just how high prices are. Here’s what prices look like on a random sampling of grocery items at Whole Foods, Safeway, Trader Joe’s and Target /zigman2/quotes/207799045/composite TGT -1.41% .
The prices were taken at San Francisco Bay Area grocery stores, where grocery items are about 12% higher than the national average according to 2010 Census data. Safeway prices were calculated based on Club Price, which is free to shoppers who sign up. All prices were based on sale price, if applicable.
- ‘Unthinkable ... after Ethiopia’: Yemen faces globe’s worst famine in 100 years
- John McCain’s memorial service: notable attendees, speakers and moments
- You can retire pretty well in these 10 uncommonly charming towns
- Running scared this flu season? 7 things you shouldn’t touch — including soap
- How much to tip everyone for the holidays
- 5 blue-collar jobs that pay $100,000 a year
- The cheapest states to drive in
- 8 best American trips for solo travelers
- Top 10 most annoying people you may want to unfriend on Facebook
- 10 jobs robots already do better than you
- Tour this fantastic Mediterranean villa in the Flats of Beverly Hills
- Forget Paris, these are the European spots you should visit this summer
- Gawk at these photos of Palazzo di Amore, a one-of-a-kind estate high above Beverly Hills
- An Oscar-worthy Los Angeles home with classic celebrity ties
- 12 best American road trips