By Associated Press
Carlos Cordeiro resigned as U.S. Soccer Federation president on Thursday night, three days after the organization filed legal papers in a gender discrimination claiming women players had less physical ability and responsibility than men.
His decision elevated former American midfielder Cindy Parlow Cone to become the first woman president in the history of the federation.
Cordeiro announced his resignation on Twitter without even telling the federation’s communications staff. He stepped down on a day several USSF board members issued extraordinary rebukes that criticized the governing body’s legal filings. Among them were Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber and Cone, the federation’s vice president.
A night earlier, U.S. women wore their warmup jerseys inside-out to hide the federation crest during the national anthem before a game against Japan. Several of the federation’s sponsors issued this week backing the players and condemning the USSF, including The Coca-Cola Co. /zigman2/quotes/209159848/composite KO +0.14% , Anheuser Busch Cos. Inc. /zigman2/quotes/209225053/composite BUD -0.21% , The Procter & Gamble Co. /zigman2/quotes/202894679/composite PG -0.50% and Volkswagen Group /zigman2/quotes/206919008/delayed XE:VOW -0.07% .
Cordeiro said he decided to quit after discussions with the USSF board.
“It has become clear to me that what is best right now is a new direction,” Cordeiro wrote. “The arguments and language contained in this week’s legal filing caused great offense and pain, especially to our extraordinary women’s national team players who deserve better. It was unacceptable and inexcusable.”
“I did not have the opportunity to fully review the filing in its entirety before it was submitted, and I take responsibility for not doing so. Had I done so, I would have objected to the language,” he wrote.
The legal papers were submitted to federal court in Los Angeles as part of the USSF’s defense of the gender discrimination filed by women last year. They claim they have not been paid equally to the men’s national team and asked for more than $66 million in damages under the Equal Pay Act and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 . A trial is scheduled for May 5.
“While it is gratifying that there has been such a deafening outcry against USSF’s blatant misogyny, the sexist culture and policies overseen by Carlos Cordeiro have been approved for years by the board of directors of USSF,” the women’s players said in a statement by spokeswoman Molly Levinson. “This institution must change and support and pay women players equally.”
Cordeiro had issued a statement late during Wednesday’s game against Japan apologizing for the arguments presented in the documents and added the federation had retained new legal counsel, a move the men’s national team called “window dressing” and “a sleight of hand.”
Cone, now 41, scored 75 goals in 158 appearances for the U.S. from 1995 to 2006 and won the 1999 World Cup and two Olympic gold medals. She with post-concussion syndrome.
She was elected to the U.S. National Hall of Fame in 2018. Cone was elected USSF vice president in 2019 and voted a full four-year term last month.
“I am hurt and saddened by the brief USSF filed,” she wrote on Twitter earlier Thursday. “This issue means so much to me, but more broadly to all men & women and, more importantly, to little girls & boys who are our future. I disavow the troubling statements and will continue to work to forge a better path forward.”
Garber’s statement was especially telling. He is a member of the USSF board and CEO of Soccer United Marketing, the marketing arm of both MLS and the USSF.
“I expressed to the president of the federation in no uncertain terms how unacceptable and offensive I found the statements in that filing to be,” Garber said. “Those statements do not reflect my personal view, nor do they reflect the views of the Major League Soccer and Soccer United Marketing families. I intend to immediately address this issue with the U.S. Soccer board of directors.”